update on space helmet project 3

so just for clarity’s sake the previous post on this can be found here.

as the end of the last post suggested i was coming up dry on source images for a space helmet so i went on ebay and bought a 1970’s russian space helmet. yes, it is awesome. i knew it would be pretty cool but its better than i expected with a whole assortment of hoses, levers, clamps and plugs.

space helmet actual

so after i got this i took some photos of my roommate wearing it and printed out a photo and started working it as a small 5inx8in stencil. my first attempt below is playing with minimal face highlights to highlight the bone structure in face and give a ghastly skull look. while i do like how this came out i felt it reminded me too much of a storm trooper.

space helmet stencil 1

like i said, i liked the way this came out but i needed to make some slight changes in the face. and i wanted the stencil to be at least life size so i opened it up in photoshop to get a handle on the stencil bridges and how i was going to work it.

i blasted out the contrast and went gray scale and then i used threshold to get the white/dark balance to where i wanted it. i had to use four separate threshold layers because it would look perfect somewhere and too light or dark somewhere else. so after compositing most of the helmet i had about three different versions of the face and i ended up doing a composite on the face too. one had eyes but no face and the one with a full face had a sark shadow where the eyes would have been. so once i got it right i put it in illustrator and printed it out as tiles and stuck em to the paper. noe the streaky print. these areas will be cut out anyway so i didnt need a clean headed printer to get a solid print out anyway.

large space stencil large space stencil 2

so then comes the pain in the ass of cutting the stencil. next update i will show the first prints.

0 Responses to “update on space helmet project 3”


  • No Comments

Leave a Reply