update on space helmet project 2

this is an update on a previous thread where i showed what i have been working on.

again i will mention that I’m more along in the project than my posting about the project but it is HOT as blazes here in boston and i think I’m going to take a bit of time off working on the project till it gets a bit cooler. it is just too damn hot and breathing in the spray paint in the sun is killing me.

but i still have many updates to fill in till i get going again.

so in the last update i showed the sketches i was working on for a show in early may. i had this image i was working on but i couldn’t really get my hands around it. i wanted to go big for this show so i just went for it and did everything freehand. which is very out of character for me. i usually thrive on the clean lines and well thought out placement of things and i measure everything out to be where i want it geometrically. this next picture is the final painting using spray paint and paint marker measuring 24inches by 48inches.

space helmet painting 1

i will say right off i didn’t really like the way this came out. as expected the minor measurement discrepancies really annoyed the shit out of me. it was windy out and some of the drips were flattened and some hooked out to the sides. being on a deadline i rushed some of the tape off parts and left some tape texture i had to paint over. but after thinking about it for a while i liked the way the drips came out. the drips are supposed to be wild and uncontrolled. i just really hated the way the helmet came out. i just could not find the source imagery i was looking for. i was really pumped up on the idea though and i wanted to continue.

so the next step for me was trying to get my hands on an actual space helmet.

0 Responses to “update on space helmet project 2”


  • No Comments

Leave a Reply